Wedding Gifts, Chapter 1

In which I share with you projects made of burlap and crochet, and confess my recent love affair with spray adhesive.

Untitled

I knew my friend was using burlap and lace for decoration at her reception, so as part of her wedding gift I made these burlap and doily wall hangings.  I was so pleased with how they turned out!!

Untitled

For the doilies, I used a pattern from Today's Woman Granny Squares Number 2 called "A Victorian Touch for your Table," size 10 vintage thread and a 1.65 mm steel hook. The pattern actually makes a doily, mat, and tablecloth depending on where you stop crocheting... I made the doily and the mat, so you can see how the centers are the same!

Untitled

I used spray adhesive to attach the doilies to the burlap, and then put them in 12 and 9 1/2 inch embroidery hoops.  On the back, I trimmed the burlap and doilies (eek, it was scary cutting the doilies!) to about an inch, and hot glued the burlap down to the inside hoop.

Untitled

The crochet pattern was so easy, and I love how the two sizes made a perfect set!  I'm definitely going to remember this pattern for future projects!

Untitled

I also used burlap and crochet for the wedding card!  First, I machine sewed (with no tantrums or fights with the machine) around the edge of a piece of burlap to prevent fraying.  To give the burlap a sturdy shape, I attached a slightly smaller piece of cardstock with spray adhesive.  Because cards don't usually have enough space for me to write, I sewed in some paper using the pamphlet stitch (which I blogged about here if you're interested).  For the front I made another heart to match the cake toppers (from THIS pattern).  And can you guess I how I attached the crocheted heart to the burlap?

Yep, spray adhesive!!  I flippin' love this stuff!  Had I not had the awesome date that I did, I would have gone to the wedding with my can of 3m Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive.  No joke; it could have been quite dapper with a little bow tie...

Comments

  1. Is very beautiful and original. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad you like them!

      Kate :}

      Delete
  2. The doily wall hangings look so pretty - and the card too. I think they make perfect gifts for a young couple - sturdy burlap for the man and dainty doilies for the bride. Have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing gift - and you crochet is perfect. What a great idea.....
    Jo. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was definitely one of those projects where I said "I hope this works!"
      Kate :}

      Delete
  4. Everything is beautiful. I absolutely love the card in burlap and the crocheted heart. Nice enough to frame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how much did you work for this wedding???? Amazing!!!
    Really love the wall hangings!!! Brava!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS!!! I am over the moon excited about those burlap and crochet pieces you did. They are just WOW. I love the texture and the contrast between the burlap and the delicate lace-like crochet. This is going to the top of my want to try list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the burlap and lace look together! And that card is so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome date???? Did I miss something???? Just kidding...I discovered spray adhesive years ago, and I love it too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts